1Very close to; almost: David was nearly asleep a rise of nearly 25 per cent
More example sentences
- He led me into an alcove and stood close to me, so close our faces were nearly touching.
- The buildings of New York take quite a beating and nearly disappear in a fusion fireball.
- He once had a slender girlfriend with a mop of hair and a crooked, pale, nearly pretty face.
- Nothing like; far from: you’re not nearly as clever as you think you areMore example sentences
- It's patronising and slightly depressing but not nearly as horrible as the final film this week.
- Up at half six, and on yet another train - not nearly as nice this time - shortly after eight.
- Still, she's not nearly as bald as she was a year and a half ago, and she likes her new look well enough.