1Very close to; almost: David was nearly asleep a rise of nearly 25 per cent
More example sentences
- He led me into an alcove and stood close to me, so close our faces were nearly touching.
- The buildings of New York take quite a beating and nearly disappear in a fusion fireball.
- He once had a slender girlfriend with a mop of hair and a crooked, pale, nearly pretty face.
- Nothing like; far from: you’re not nearly as clever as you think you areMore example sentences
- It's patronising and slightly depressing but not nearly as horrible as the final film this week.
- Up at half six, and on yet another train - not nearly as nice this time - shortly after eight.
- Still, she's not nearly as bald as she was a year and a half ago, and she likes her new look well enough.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.