nouninformal, chiefly North American
A person, especially a man, who is regarded as pitifully ineffectual, timid, or submissive: He’s a nebbish. No money, no prestige, no future [as modifier]: his nebbish sensibility
More example sentences
- In the original, the men were cold and sinister; in the new version, they're nebbishes who need to be constantly drilled in masculine prerogatives by the head of the Men's Association.
- There's nothing special about us… just a coupla nebbishes…
- Meanwhile, in the ‘comedy,’ Melinda is the downstairs neighbor of an ambitious film director, Susan, and her nebbish husband, Hobie.
- Example sentences
- He's nebbishy, quietly romantic, and - as many of his songs suggest - dreaming of road trip getaways.
- He's a short, nebbishy guy with a neat goatee and horn-rimmed glasses.
- A nebbishy architect is inexplicably charged with designing the suicide barrier on the Bloor Viaduct.
Late 19th century: from Yiddish nebekh 'poor thing'.
Definition of nebbish in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.