Definition of necrology in English:
noun (plural necrologies)formal
1An obituary notice.
- In the second necrology, possibly written slightly later and at San Isidoro about 1150, Fernando's obit has been moved to December 23.
- Such a context would also help to explain the emphasis put on the book, and might encourage us to speculate whether the Liber Domini was meant to prefigure the necrologies or liber vitae manuscripts.
- In these commentaries called Our Man in Bulgaria, he has reported on Bulgarian orphanages, cafes, water regimes, necrologies, taxi drivers and ethnic tolerance.
2A list of deaths.
- When I was in the seminary in the early fifties (yes, Virginia, there was a time before 1960), the rector kept us busy during the long, dark winters compiling a necrology of the deceased priests of the Archdiocese of Chicago.
- When I sat down and did the necrology at the end of the book, and examined all of the cases, it really struck me that I'd collected a very unique body of research that hadn't been done anywhere else, not here nor in the U.S. nor Australia.
- Example sentences
- Presumably it is this - rather than, say, infanticide - which is recorded in the necrological data to which Flannery refers.
- He will be brought to Trinity University Chapel on Thursday for necrological services before the cremation of his remains on Friday.
- De Leon, 40, was buried 5 p.m. yesterday at the Rolling Hills Memorial Park after three hours of necrological service at the Triumph of the Holy Cross church in Barangay Estefania.
Words that rhyme with necrologyanthropology, apology, archaeology (US archeology), astrology, biology, campanology, cardiology, chronology, climatology, cosmology, craniology, criminology, dermatology, ecology, embryology, entomology, epidemiology, etymology, geology, gynaecology (US gynecology), haematology (US hematology), hagiology, horology, hydrology, iconology, ideology, immunology, iridology, kidology, meteorology, methodology, musicology, mythology, neurology, numerology, oncology, ontology, ophthalmology, ornithology, parasitology, pathology, pharmacology, phraseology, phrenology, physiology, psychology, radiology, reflexology, scatology, Scientology, seismology, semiology, sociology, symbology, tautology, technology, terminology, theology, topology, toxicology, urology, zoology • eulogy • energy • synergy • apogee • liturgy • lethargy
Definition of necrology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.