(Of something undesirable) not necessary because avoidable: I deplore needless waste
More example sentences
- Have compassion for all beings, causing them no unnecessary hurt, nor needless harm.
- Frankly I can't afford to go wasting fifteen quid on something as needless as this.
- Please improve the quality of your paper by removing this needless source of controversy from its pages.
needless to say
- Of course: needless to say, he didn’t believe meMore example sentences
- We were in a joint family then and needless to say, it was good fun.
- And, needless to say, shortly after he began to believe me, he went away.
- So needless to say, there were a lot of jokes about spies and so on.
- Example sentences
- Indeed, the lunatic profligacy of the enterprise - its needlessness, its expense in lives, money and reputation - was for them the best argument in its favor.
- Rushabh Sadiwala writes about the needlessness of religion
- The better it is, the more it reminds me of all that I said above, and the needlessness of it, which invariably fouls my mood for the morning.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: need|less
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.