(also needle-tailed swift)
- An Asian spine-tailed swift, believed to be the world’s fastest flying bird.
More example sentences
- Genus Hirundapus, family Apodidae: four species
- Larger species, such as white-throated needletail, are amongst the fastest flyers in the animal kingdom.
- The fastest normal wing-flapping flight ever clocked was of the white-throated needle-tailed swift in India: a reported 219 miles per hour.
- The needletails can seem drawn to the hills as if by a magnet; on good days, flocks arrive from the north, glide and circle around, then, with a few flaps of their wings, whoosh overhead like speeding bullets, and vanish to the south.