Relating to the modern version of Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection, incorporating the findings of genetics.
- In the neo-Darwinian approach to natural selection that incorporates consideration of genetics, fitness is attributed to particular genotypes.
- If you don't know anything about molecular biology and neo-Darwinian evolution then sit back and listen, rather than taking on the mantle of quasi-scientific commentator.
- To the best of my knowledge no one has considered neo-Darwinian evolution to be a one-shot game, yet the book reads as if this was the predominant view and that the authors have stumbled onto something new.
- Example sentences
- It is typical of creationists to exploit disagreements between evolutionists as proof that neo-Darwinism is dead while at the same time hiding their own disagreements from the public.
- In neo-Darwinism, natural selection is assumed to play a much more important role than mutation, sometimes creating new characters in the presence of genetic recombination.
- In so doing, he succeeds eminently in disarming the one-sided arguments advanced by defenders of both neo-Darwinism and intelligent design.
- Example sentences
- According to neo-Darwinist Dawkins, the innate aspiration of the ‘selfish gene’ to leave more of itself behind is the driving force behind evolution.
- Dismissing this censure with a smile, the cardinal spelled out a position that respects Darwin's achievements but rejects neo-Darwinist views he said go beyond what science can prove.
- Genes are seen as the essence of life, as acting to maximise their fitness and survival, with the result that the life world created is a neo-Darwinist one.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: neo-Darwin¦ian
Definition of neo-Darwinian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.