noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A synthetic compound with the property of inhibiting cholinesterase, used to treat ileus, glaucoma, and myasthenia gravis.More example sentences
- At the end of procedures, the neuromuscular blockade was reversed, if necessary, with neostigmine, 0.03 mg/kg, and atropine, 0.015 mg/kg.
- The study was terminated with the administration of atropine and neostigmine to reverse muscle paralysis.
- The use of neostigmine to antagonise neuromuscular blockade may increase bowel motility and result in a higher rate of anastomotic leakage.
1940s: from neo- 'new', on the pattern of physostigmine.
More definitions of neostigmineDefinition of neostigmine in:
- The US English dictionary