Definition of nepenthes in English:
1 (also nepenthe) [mass noun] literary A drug described in Homer’s Odyssey as banishing grief or trouble from a person’s mind.
- Alcohol and morphine - nepenthe means numbing the soul, numbing your soul.
- They have all drunk the supply-side nepenthe - and simply don't care to hear any debate on this subject.
- Its contents, the nepenthes as administered by Helen to her guests to instill joy, have been consumed.
1.1A drug or potion bringing welcome forgetfulness.
- Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe and forget this lost Lenore!
- More, Freddy frames Lori's father for the murder of Lori's mother (by stabbing, of course), while Lori's father compounds the tension by offering nepenthe, Suspicion-style: ‘At least drink your juice!’
Definition of nepenthes in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.