- A colourless, greenish, or brownish mineral consisting of an aluminosilicate of sodium (often with potassium) and occurring as crystals and grains in igneous rocks.More example sentences
- All basalt chemical compositions can be plotted in the basalt tetrahedron, which has normative quartz, olivine, nepheline and augite at the apices.
- The three commonest feldspathoids are leucite, nepheline, and sodalite.
- The other is a small lazurite deposit at the southern end of Baffin Island, Nunavut, Canada, where it is found as rounded, isolated grains in nepheline and is associated with diopside.
early 19th century: from French néphéline, from Greek nephelē 'cloud' (because its fragments are made cloudy on immersion in nitric acid) + -ine2.
More definitions of nephelineDefinition of nepheline in:
- The US English dictionary