noun[mass noun] Geology , historical
The erroneous theory that rocks such as granite were formed by crystallization from the waters of a primeval ocean. The chief advocate of this theory was Abraham Gottlob Werner. Compare with plutonism.
- As the science of mineralogy progressed, it became clear that Neptunism was flawed.
- An enthusiastic fossil digger, he was influenced by his friend James Hutton, though he accepted elements of both Neptunism and Vulcanism.
- C. is noted for the development of the concept of Neptunism.
Neptunist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- These developments led to the eventual rise of the Neptunist school, which advocated precipitation from a primeval ocean to produce the ancient crystalline rocks.
- Through careful scientific observation, Hutton realised that the Neptunist view could not be true.
- In its most extreme form, the Neptunists said that all rocks - even granites - are produced from the sea.
Definition of Neptunism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.