A bulbous South African plant with narrow strap-shaped petals that are typically crimped and twisted and appear when there are no leaves.
- Genus Nerine, family Liliaceae (or Amaryllidaceae)
More example sentences
- There is always plenty in bloom, especially March lilies, agapanthus, nerines and blood lilies at this time of year.
- Also for containers or sheltered, well-drained sunny spaces, the less hardy gladiolus, nerine and Belladonna lily will look exotic.
- In horticultural practice, bud abortion, i.e. ceasing of the development of the shoot in flower bulbs, is a substantial problem in several crops, including hippeastrum, nerine and tulip.
modern Latin, from Latin, 'Nereid'.
Definition of nerine in:
- The US English dictionary