Definition of nether in English:
Lower in position: the ballast is suspended from its nether end
More example sentences
- Not that he knew he was back, he simply found himself in a room full of monsters, lanky, pasty giants clad in disgusting nether garments, who, rather than beat him compassionately into stability, kept their distance and moaned.
- Luckily for Berwick, washing the cast's nether garments is about the only job he doesn't take on in the annual Theatre Royal panto, in which he is the star, writer and co-director.
- I wonder when I reflect under what influence I was brought up, that my heart is not harder than the nether millstone.
- Example sentences
- At the ENS he has students translating Kafka's ‘The Hunter Gracchus’: ‘No one will read what I write here, no one will come to help me… My ship is rudderless, it's driven by the wind blowing into the nethermost regions of death.’
- I am singled out for speech because it amuses Soraun to have me brought up from time to time to tell Him how His nethermost subjects fare.
- We would approach finally the nethermost boundary.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India