Definition of nettle in English:
1A herbaceous plant which has jagged leaves covered with stinging hairs.
- Genus Urtica, family Urticaceae: several species, in particular the Eurasian stinging nettle (U. dioica)
- These so-called host plants include many broadleaf weeds and cover crops such as nettles, mallow, chicory, dandelion, thistles, bindweed, deadly nightshade, and many clovers.
- But the beauty of most edible plants - nettles, dandelions, alexanders, fat hen, sorrel - is that they are so prolific they are considered a nuisance.
- Almost everyone is familiar with the nettle through its formidable sting, but few know about the important role it plays in the natural world.
1.1Used in names of other plants with leaves of a similar appearance to those of the nettle, e.g. dead-nettle.
- Flea beetles also feed on many nongarden plants, including Virginia creeper, pokeweed, horse nettle, pigweed and wild mustard family plants.
- Dead nettles are ground cover perennials with leaves that are marked in silver.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Irritate or annoy (someone): ‘I was only asking,’ Jess said, nettled
More example sentences
- So it nettles me a little bit for people to question her qualifications.
- One remark of Don's, however, nettled me for its pre-emptive protecting of the poet.
- I am nettled by this, and, refusing his attentions walk off into the surf squaring my shoulders.
upset, displease, offend, affront, get/put someone's back up, disgruntle, rankle with, pique, needle, ruffle, get on someone's nerves, try someone's patience, ruffle someone's feathers, make someone's hackles rise, raise someone's hackles, chafe;
British rub up the wrong way;
North American rankle, ride, gravel
informalpeeve, aggravate, miff, rile, get, get to, bug, get under someone's skin, get in someone's hair, get up someone's nose, hack off, get someone's goat, drive up the wall
British informalnark, get on someone's wick, give someone the hump, wind up, get across someone
North American informaltick off
vulgar slangpiss off
British vulgar slangget on someone's tits
rareexacerbate, hump, rasp
North American informalteed off, ticked off, sore
West Indian informalvex
vulgar slangpissed off
grasp the nettle
- see grasp.
Words that rhyme with nettlefettle, kettle, metal, mettle, petal, Popocatépetl, settle
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.