Definition of neume in English:
1(In plainsong) a note or group of notes to be sung to a single syllable.
- There were also ‘liquescent’ neumes - ornamental neumes that required special types of vocal delivery.
- And yet, just how and where we moved from the neume to the square note has not been studied until now.
- To illustrate the development from neumes to notes, we take the Offertory Illumina, from the 10th Sunday.
1.1A sign indicating a neume.
- This notation, common in some form or another to all early manuscripts, consisted of staffless ‘neumes ', signs that to a certain extent indicate the contour of the melodies but not the exact intervals.
- In the 11 th Century, the neums are placed on lines for better pitch accuracy.
- Rhythmic letters and episemas can be attached to these elements, and will stay with the neume where it is dragged on the staff.
Definition of neume in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan