noun (plural neurohypophyses /-siːz/)Anatomy
- The posterior lobe of the hypophysis (pituitary gland), which stores and releases oxytocin and vasopressin produced in the hypothalamus.More example sentences
- The posterior lobe of the pituitary gland or neurohypophysis contains unique glial elements referred to as pituicytes.
- The neurohypophysis, or posterior pituitary, is derived from an evagination of the infundibular portion of the diencephalon of the brain.
- The neurohypophysis was replaced by fibrotic tissue containing perivascular macrophages and activated microglia, and in the cerebellum, there were large areas of myelin pallor.
More definitions of neurohypophysisDefinition of neurohypophysis in:
- The US English dictionary