- (Of a drug) tending to reduce nervous tension by depressing nerve functions.More example sentences
- A number of the older tricyclic antidepressants, typical neuroleptic medications and, more recently, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors have been trialed in eating disorders.
- Treatment of delirium requires use of neuroleptic drugs, such as haloperidol and chlorpromazine, not sedatives.
- Judicious doses of neuroleptic medication may be required if hallucinations occur.
nounBack to top
- A neuroleptic drug; a major tranquillizer.More example sentences
- The drugs used for schizophrenia are antipsychotics or neuroleptics (major tranquillizers).
- In practice, however, drugs such as neuroleptics and other sedatives are often prescribed in an attempt to control what can be an alarming situation.
- Other agents, such as lithium, neuroleptics, trazadone and benzodiazepines, have not proved effective.
More definitions of neurolepticDefinition of neuroleptic in:
- The US English dictionary