(also neuropile /-pʌɪl/)
nounAnatomy & Zoology
- A dense network of interwoven nerve fibres and their branches and synapses, together with glial filaments.More example sentences
- Each ocellus comprises a common lens, a few hundred photoreceptor cells in groups of two to seven with a central rhabdom complex, and a synaptic neuropil where the receptors synapse onto large and small ocellar interneurons.
- In the crab stomatogastric nervous system, citrulline is present in a pair of projection neurons that send axons to the synaptic neuropil of the STG.
- Interestingly, therefore, the nitrergic innervation of the thoracic sensory neuropils follows the separation of tactile and proprioceptive pathways found in early mechanosensory processing.
late 19th century: probably an abbreviation of obsolete neuropilema, from Greek neuron 'nerve' + pilēma 'felt'.
More definitions of neuropilDefinition of neuropil in:
- The US English dictionary