Definition of neuropteran in English:
A predatory flying insect of the order Neuroptera, such as a lacewing or alderfly.
- Zygopterans and tabanids were absent, and coleopterans, neuropterans, trichopterans, hemipterans (true bugs), and anisopterans were rare.
- The first neuropterans are believed to have appeared during the Permian, almost 300 million years ago.
- Because of this, some neuropterans have been successfully used in the biological control of crop pests.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting neuropterans.
- These have been neglected in studies on neuropteran anatomy, and many aspects of their biology are likewise obscure.
- There are two different kinds of neuropteran eye, with and without distal rhabdomeres, which can be expected on anatomical grounds to function differently.
- Example sentences
- Snyder reported a strange neuropterous larva which he found in a termite colony at Falls Church, Va., in 1918.
- Research Emphases are: geological record of neuropterous insects, integration of fossil and living taxa into combined phylogenetic analyses.
- Biological control of aphids using neuropterous insect (Chrysopa nipponensis Okamoto) larvae was investigated.
Definition of neuropteran in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan