Definition of neuropteran in English:
A predatory flying insect of the order Neuroptera, such as a lacewing or alderfly.
- Zygopterans and tabanids were absent, and coleopterans, neuropterans, trichopterans, hemipterans (true bugs), and anisopterans were rare.
- The first neuropterans are believed to have appeared during the Permian, almost 300 million years ago.
- Because of this, some neuropterans have been successfully used in the biological control of crop pests.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting neuropterans.
- These have been neglected in studies on neuropteran anatomy, and many aspects of their biology are likewise obscure.
- There are two different kinds of neuropteran eye, with and without distal rhabdomeres, which can be expected on anatomical grounds to function differently.
- Example sentences
- Snyder reported a strange neuropterous larva which he found in a termite colony at Falls Church, Va., in 1918.
- Research Emphases are: geological record of neuropterous insects, integration of fossil and living taxa into combined phylogenetic analyses.
- Biological control of aphids using neuropterous insect (Chrysopa nipponensis Okamoto) larvae was investigated.
Definition of neuropteran in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.