Definition of neurotransmitter in English:
A chemical substance which is released at the end of a nerve fibre by the arrival of a nerve impulse and, by diffusing across the synapse or junction, effects the transfer of the impulse to another nerve fibre, a muscle fibre, or some other structure.
- Cnidarians contain chemical synapses and release neurotransmitters, including biogenic amines and peptides.
- Excitatory neurotransmitters transfer an impulse to the next cell.
- Nerve impulses are transmitted at synapses by the release of chemicals called neurotransmitters.
- 1neurotransmission noun
- Example sentences
- Nitric oxide is a unique, gaseous free radical that is an important physiologic mediator for autonomic functions such as vasodilation, neurotransmission, and intestinal peristalsis.
- We provide the first evidence that tachykinin neurokinin - 3 receptors regulate human bronchial parasympathetic ganglion neurotransmission by activation of a peripheral reflex.
- Maintaining a higher level of neurotransmitters improves neurotransmission - the sending of those nerve impulses - which, in turn, improves your mood.
Definition of neurotransmitter in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.