Definition of neutropenia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
The presence of abnormally few neutrophils in the blood, leading to increased susceptibility to infection.
- Fever and infection, due to neutropenia, are infrequent at presentation, but may occur later in the disease.
- As for safety, most drugs caused the usual signs of cytotoxicity, including neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, fever, infections, and gastrointestinal toxicity.
- Prophylactic antibiotics can prevent infections and save lives in patients who develop neutropenia after chemotherapy for cancer, say researchers from Israel.
- Example sentences
- Despite initial pancytopenia and neutropenic sepsis, she has tolerated three cycles of chemotherapy.
- Children who are neutropenic secondary to cancer chemotherapy are usually admitted to the hospital for treatment with broad-spectrum antibiotics when they develop a fever.
- Systemic infection with Candida is a challenging problem in immunocompromised neutropenic patients.
Definition of neutropenia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia