- 1A person who has recently arrived in a place: she’s a newcomer to the areaMore example sentences
- There can be legitimate objections, as well as xenophobic ones, to a large number of newcomers arriving in a certain area.
- Their bus was welcomed just like at any other time when newcomers arrived.
- We must say goodbye to our friends and colleagues and prepare for the newcomers arriving soon.
- 1.1A novice in a particular activity or situation: a newcomer to federal politics Hill, one of England’s relative newcomers, gave them the leadMore example sentences
- Angie went diving once before in Florida, but John is a newcomer to the activity.
- Imago, a relative newcomer to the league of regional journals, was born at a difficult time.
- Reeve, a relative newcomer to showjumping, broke his neck in the worst place possible.