1 [mass noun] A card game in which the players put down cards in sequence, hoping to be the first to play all their cards and also to play certain special cards on which bets have been placed.
- Whether planning party games (Newmarket, Old Maid, and Oh Hell!), or a civilized card evening with friends, this will be an invaluable source of information.
- It does not matter in Newmarket that initially some players have more cards than others.
2 (also Newmarket coat) A close-fitting overcoat of a style originally worn for riding.
- However, I have never seen a Newmarket coat with square cutaway fronts in the manner of a dress coat.
- A Newmarket coat was a long, fitted coat with tails, used for riding and named for the Newmarket racecourse.
- With this you can see that the modern morning coat is what was once called a ‘Newmarket coat’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan