- A small slender-bodied amphibian with lungs and a well-developed tail, typically spending its adult life on land and returning to water to breed.
More example sentences
- Triturus and other genera, family Salamandridae: numerous species
- Around 5,000 amphibian species, including frogs, toads, newts, and salamanders are thought to exist today.
- A study by Conservation International, an American organisation, found that nearly a third of frogs, toads, newts and other amphibian species were likely to disappear within 100 years.
- Some amphibians we know today include frogs, toads, newts and salamanders.
late Middle English: from an ewt (ewt from Old English efeta: see eft), interpreted (by wrong division) as a newt.
More definitions of newtDefinition of newt in:
- The US English dictionary