Definition of nickelodeon in English:
1 informal, dated A jukebox, originally one operated by the insertion of a nickel coin.
- She devotes loving attention to her orchestra, and especially to the coin-operated nickelodeon, the earliest version of a juke box.
- An equivalent system is the punched-hole stack of connected cards used in a pianola, or the rotating slotted-metal disk in a nickelodeon, where the music is being played in response to the arrangement of the holes.
- This sounds like I'm describing the days of crystal-set radios and hand-cranked nickelodeons, I know.
2 historical A cinema with an admission fee of one nickel.
- Another sound in the nickelodeons was the murmur of immigrant voices translating aloud the titles into the languages of Europe.
- Before long, thousands of nickelodeons popped up in cities across the country, ushering in a new era of the motion picture as profit-making industry, entertainment for the masses and pop culture juggernaut.
- In working class neighborhoods, children and teenagers flocked to the cheap storefront movie theaters, called nickelodeons, where even at night only a minority of the audience were adults.
Words that rhyme with nickelodeonCambodian, collodion, custodian, melodeon, Odeon
Definition of nickelodeon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.