A toxic colourless or yellowish oily liquid which is the chief active constituent of tobacco. It acts as a stimulant in small doses, but in larger amounts blocks the action of autonomic nerve and skeletal muscle cells.
- An alkaloid; chemical formula: C10H14N2
More example sentences
- The nicotine in tobacco smoke causes both physical and psychological dependence.
- These laws offer a promising framework for the regulation of nicotine, including tobacco products.
- I understand these results are based on the amount of nicotine found in the bloodstream.
Definition of nicotine in:
- The US English dictionary