An unpleasant smell: the horrible fishy niff
More example sentences
- Top Tip: a few drops of tea tree oil in the bottom prevents nasty niffs.
- Councillors are calling on the Government to get involved in ending a nasty niff pervading Castle Point.
- Council environment chiefs have launched an investigation into the source of the nasty niff.
verb[no object] Back to top
early 20th century (originally dialect): perhaps from sniff.
niffy adjective (niffier, niffiest)
- More example sentences
- Because fish can be a bit niffy and you don't want to whiff up your best suit?
- It did get a bit niffy in there so every so often I swapped sides.
- They prefer to live in groups and need frequent cleaning-out because ratties are a bit niffy!