Definition of niff in English:
An unpleasant smell: the horrible fishy niff
More example sentences
- Top Tip: a few drops of tea tree oil in the bottom prevents nasty niffs.
- Councillors are calling on the Government to get involved in ending a nasty niff pervading Castle Point.
- Council environment chiefs have launched an investigation into the source of the nasty niff.
verb[no object] Back to top
Early 20th century (originally dialect): perhaps from sniff.
- Example sentences
- Because fish can be a bit niffy and you don't want to whiff up your best suit?
- It did get a bit niffy in there so every so often I swapped sides.
- They prefer to live in groups and need frequent cleaning-out because ratties are a bit niffy!
Pronunciation: /ˈnɪfi/adjective (niffier, niffiest)
Words that rhyme with niffbiff, cliff, glyph, if, kif, miff, quiff, riff, skew-whiff, skiff, sniff, spliff, stiff, tiff, whiff
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan