1A venomous nocturnal African viper.
- Genus Causus, family Viperidae: several species, in particular the grey and black C. rhombeatus, common in southern Africa.
- Every morning we shook our shoes for scorpions, and every night we ducked the night adders that fell out of trees.
- The night adders, of which there are several species, are classified in the genus Causus.
- The night adders, in terms of the venom gland size to the body size, has the longest venom glands of all snakes.
1.1South African Any of a number of non-venomous nocturnal colubrid snakes.
- Because the earliest advanced vipers like the Fea's viper and African night adders have all of the head shields and other features of a ‘colubrid’ it will be rather hard to find the basal vipers amongst the rear fanged snakes by any other means than straight DNA testing.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: night adder
Definition of night adder in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.