- 1A venomous nocturnal African viper.
More example sentences
- Genus Causus, family Viperidae: several species, in particular the grey and black C. rhombeatus, common in southern Africa
- Every morning we shook our shoes for scorpions, and every night we ducked the night adders that fell out of trees.
- The night adders, of which there are several species, are classified in the genus Causus.
- The night adders, in terms of the venom gland size to the body size, has the longest venom glands of all snakes.
- 1.1South African Any of a number of non-venomous nocturnal colubrid snakes.More example sentences
- Because the earliest advanced vipers like the Fea's viper and African night adders have all of the head shields and other features of a ‘colubrid’ it will be rather hard to find the basal vipers amongst the rear fanged snakes by any other means than straight DNA testing.
More definitions of night adderDefinition of night adder in:
- The US English dictionary