Definition of night adder in English:
1A venomous nocturnal African viper.
- Genus Causus, family Viperidae: several species, in particular the grey and black C. rhombeatus, common in southern Africa
- Every morning we shook our shoes for scorpions, and every night we ducked the night adders that fell out of trees.
- The night adders, of which there are several species, are classified in the genus Causus.
- The night adders, in terms of the venom gland size to the body size, has the longest venom glands of all snakes.
1.1South African Any of a number of non-venomous nocturnal colubrid snakes.
- Because the earliest advanced vipers like the Fea's viper and African night adders have all of the head shields and other features of a ‘colubrid’ it will be rather hard to find the basal vipers amongst the rear fanged snakes by any other means than straight DNA testing.
Definition of night adder in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia