- Human excrement collected at night from buckets, cesspools, and privies and sometimes used as manure.More example sentences
- Other fertilizers - ash, turf, flax waste, pigeon dung, human night soil - either contained fewer nutrients or had to be expensively transported.
- Bulky organic manures can be supplied through farmyard manure, farm compost, town compost, night soil, sludge, green manure, etc.
- ‘It may derive from the use of the land for trapping birds or eels, for parking horse drawn traps attending the annual horse races in Port Meadow which took place until 1880, or for dumping night soil from college privies or traps‘.
More definitions of night soilDefinition of night soil in:
- The US English dictionary