1 historical A cap worn in bed.
- If I could get away with wearing a hat, I would (I've often joked with my wife that there is a vast untapped market for authentic nightcaps in this country).
- Scrooge sits before the fire in his dressing gown and nightcap thinking of the way that the doorknocker changed form.
- By now, he was used to waking up in the middle of the night; attire mussed and nightcap askew, and scurrying to open the door for His Grace's wide circle of friends.
2A hot or alcoholic drink taken before bedtime.
- Many people who suffer from insomnia try to solve the problem with alcohol - the so-called nightcap.
- The lavish event was then rounded off nicely with quiet Tequila and Jagermeister nightcaps and jovial banter amongst the attendees.
- And so, warm bellied, we repaired to our room to watch telly, read, write and have a vodka nightcap before sleep.
3 Baseball The second game of a double-header.
- In the nightcap of the doubleheader, he hit a ninth inning homer off Hoyt Wilhelm to assure the Yankees of a 1-0 win.
- The A's won the nightcap of this landmark doubleheader, 5-2.
- If the Red Sox miss the playoffs by a game, they'll be haunted by the nightcap of Tuesday's doubleheader, when Toronto rallied from a pair of three-run deficits to beat Curt Schilling.
Words that rhyme with nightcapwhitecap
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: night|cap
Definition of nightcap in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.