Definition of nighthawk in English:
1An American nightjar with sharply pointed wings.
- Family Caprimulgidae: four genera and several species, in particular the common nighthawk (Chordeiles minor) of North America
- Although this is desert, there is an incredible diversity of bird life along the river and in other areas of the park - mourning doves, American kestrel falcons, nighthawks and brown thrashers are just a few of the birds that call it home.
- Some species with large mouths and small bills, such as nighthawks, whip-poor wills, and the aptly named frogmouth owls, open their bills wide as they fly into insects, and the prey is captured in the birds’ gaping maws.
- Swallows, swifts and nighthawks, all pursuing flying insects, fly erratically.
2 North American term for night owl.
- The nighthawks sit alone, lost in their individual thoughts, as if in a glass bowl.
- His people were never the iconic nighthawks Edward Hopper found at the diner.
- He has a job, a home, he can come and go; he can look at the customers with a half-smile. It is the customers who are the nighthawks.
Definition of nighthawk in:
- US English dictionary