Definition of nighthawk in English:
1An American nightjar with sharply pointed wings.
- Family Caprimulgidae: four genera and several species, in particular the common nighthawk (Chordeiles minor) of North America
- Although this is desert, there is an incredible diversity of bird life along the river and in other areas of the park - mourning doves, American kestrel falcons, nighthawks and brown thrashers are just a few of the birds that call it home.
- Some species with large mouths and small bills, such as nighthawks, whip-poor wills, and the aptly named frogmouth owls, open their bills wide as they fly into insects, and the prey is captured in the birds’ gaping maws.
- Swallows, swifts and nighthawks, all pursuing flying insects, fly erratically.
2 North American term for night owl.
- The nighthawks sit alone, lost in their individual thoughts, as if in a glass bowl.
- His people were never the iconic nighthawks Edward Hopper found at the diner.
- He has a job, a home, he can come and go; he can look at the customers with a half-smile. It is the customers who are the nighthawks.
Definition of nighthawk in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan