A small migratory thrush with drab brownish plumage, noted for its rich melodious song which can often be heard at night.
- Luscinia megarhynchos, family Turdidae
More example sentences
- But diet extends to a selection of birds including warblers and even swallows, wheatears and nightingales.
- In a bit of incredible but completely appropriate timing, the Fisherman sings ‘Oh, God above, how beautiful it is’ as the nightingale's song is heard.
- Reich had the bird breeder's equivalent of a green thumb, and was known among bird hobbyists for training canaries to sing the song of the nightingale.
Definition of nightingale in:
- The US English dictionary