- A nocturnal insectivorous bird with grey-brown camouflaged plumage, large eyes and gape, and a distinctive call.
More example sentences
- Family Caprimulgidae (the nightjar family): several genera, especially Caprimulgus, and many species, including the European nightjar (C. europaeus), which has a chirring call. The nightjar family also includes the nighthawks, pauraques, poorwills, whippoorwills, and chuck-will’s-widow
- Birds such as grouse, crows, quail, partridge, nightjars, cuckoos, shrikes, larks, pipits, merlins, harriers, kestrels and buzzards would all have been seen.
- My encounters with that mysterious bird, the nightjar, have been few and are perhaps the more memorable for that.
- We even visited the walkway at night with the good fortune of looking down on one of the rarest birds of our trip, a brown nightjar, a not too distant relative of our whippoorwill, but a very rare and little-known bird.
More definitions of nightjarDefinition of nightjar in:
- The US English dictionary