Definition of nightwatchman in English:
noun (plural nightwatchmen)
1A person whose job is to guard a building at night.
- He also served, when necessary, in the role of nightwatchman, guarding all the horses and vehicles of the royal carriage and hobby stables.
- Nightwatchmen in Nairobi munch it to stay alert through the dangerous nights in the crime-ridden capital.
- The director, who ran a demolition company, had been standing in for the nightwatchman at the compound.
2 Cricket An inferior batsman sent in to bat when a wicket falls just before the end of a day’s play, to avoid the dismissal of a better one in adverse conditions.
- If Australia had sent two nightwatchmen out to bat last night, and the rains came before a ball had been bowled, would the same two batsmen have to start the innings this morning?
- The youngster was not always composed but displayed an exuberance reminiscent of Alex Tudor's match-winning innings as a nightwatchman at Edgbaston last year.
- A few weeks later he achieved a career-best 89 not out for Yorkshire after going in as a nightwatchman.
Definition of nightwatchman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India