Definition of nightwatchman in English:
noun (plural nightwatchmen)
1A person whose job is to guard a building at night.
- He also served, when necessary, in the role of nightwatchman, guarding all the horses and vehicles of the royal carriage and hobby stables.
- Nightwatchmen in Nairobi munch it to stay alert through the dangerous nights in the crime-ridden capital.
- The director, who ran a demolition company, had been standing in for the nightwatchman at the compound.
2 Cricket An inferior batsman sent in to bat when a wicket falls just before the end of a day’s play, to avoid the dismissal of a better one in adverse conditions.
- If Australia had sent two nightwatchmen out to bat last night, and the rains came before a ball had been bowled, would the same two batsmen have to start the innings this morning?
- The youngster was not always composed but displayed an exuberance reminiscent of Alex Tudor's match-winning innings as a nightwatchman at Edgbaston last year.
- A few weeks later he achieved a career-best 89 not out for Yorkshire after going in as a nightwatchman.
Definition of nightwatchman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.