- 1The small projection in which the mammary ducts of female mammals terminate and from which milk can be secreted.More example sentences
- A cleft in the roof of the mouth makes it difficult for the baby to suck forcefully enough to draw milk through a nipple.
- This pushes the milk to the nipple, and releases it as the baby feeds.
- In addition to this, it is likely that you will be unable to breastfeed in the future, because the nipple has been separated from the milk ducts during the operation.
- 1.1The vestigial structure in a male that corresponds to the nipple of a female mammal.More example sentences
- Anatomists cite many more examples of such inefficient or useless structures, such as nipples in male primates.
- These include the appendix, most body hair, wisdom teeth, male nipples, and external ear muscles, to name just a few.
- While nipples in woman serve a purpose, male nipples appear to be simply left over from the initial stage of embryonic development.
- 1.2North American The teat of a feeding bottle: it is crucial to remove the cap or nipple of the baby’s bottle before heatingMore example sentences
- Rubber nipples take much longer to crack than the real things.
- The baby must develop different techniques for extracting milk from human and rubber nipples.
- There is even a scene in which Peter tastes the milk from the nipple of the bottle, and then pours it into his coffee.
- 2A small projection on a device, especially one from which oil or other fluid is dispensed: the centralized greasing point comprises a bank of seven nipplesMore example sentences
- It should be noted that this rim is so strong that even with seven nipples starting to pull out of the rim, it was barely out of true.
- A barrel shaped coil spring is snapped over the nipple and positively retained thereto.
- These balls were rammed home after the powder charge was placed in each cylinder and a nipple on each cap.
- 2.1A short section of pipe with a screw thread at each end for coupling: install a threaded nipple between the valve outlet and the shut-off inletMore example sentences
- The part, a pipe nipple that threads into the exhaust elbow, is used only on Kohler's 7.5kw model, was original to the generator and is located in an area difficult to reach and inspect.
- The horizontal opening of the T joint is connected to the Unitrol valve by a short piece of pipe called a nipple.
- To assemble the unit, thread the nipple into the ball valve, then thread the nipple into the bushing.
- More example sentences
- In Gascar's portrait she is inappropriately dressed in a translucent robe, and her mock-breastplate is either decoratively nippled in the classical style or else frankly transparent.
- Although the landscape depicted is forbidding in its crisp, white geometry, the hook at lower left seems to suggest some bodily metaphors; a lone figure, perhaps, or, alternatively, a nippled breast.
- A nippled joint utilizes a biconical threaded nipple, for joining the ends of graphite electrodes.
mid 16th century (also as neble, nible): perhaps a diminutive of neb.