- An antibiotic substance which is a mixture of related polypeptides and is used in some countries as a food preservative.
More example sentences
- This substance is produced by the bacterium Streptococcus lactis
- Thus the intensity of fluorescence is directly proportional to the amount of nisin in the environment.
- The authors reported that nisin can be sensitizing via i.p. injection but not by oral treatment.
- My results suggest that the inactivation of nisin by the producer organism may not be entirely enzymatic.
1940s: from (Group) N i(nhibitory) s(ubstance) + -in1.
More definitions of nisinDefinition of nisin in:
- The US English dictionary