noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A reddish-brown poisonous gas formed when many metals dissolve in nitric acid.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: NO2. It usually exists in equilibrium with dinitrogen tetroxide, N2O4
- Levels of nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide remained at a normally low level.
- Increases in ozone, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide are blamed primarily on the motorist.
- Free radicals such as nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide show weak attractions toward magnetic fields - they are called paramagnetic.
More definitions of nitrogen dioxideDefinition of nitrogen dioxide in:
- The US English dictionary