noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A colourless toxic gas formed in many reactions in which nitric acid is reduced. It reacts immediately with oxygen to form nitrogen dioxide. Also called nitric oxide.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: NO
- He said burning insulated copper cable, plastics and tyres released into the air poisonous gasses like nitrogen dioxide, nitrogen monoxide and sulphur dioxide.
- The airliner descends on Tehran through a noxious haze of carbon and nitrogen monoxide, ozone, and sulfur.
- He said there would be 42 per cent less nitrogen monoxide, 40 per cent less sulphur dioxide and 26 percent less carbon dioxide.
More definitions of nitrogen monoxideDefinition of nitrogen monoxide in:
- The US English dictionary