noun[mass noun] Geography
- Erosion of the ground beneath and at the sides of a snow bank, mainly as a result of alternate freezing and thawing.More example sentences
- In this manner the depression is enlarged and deepened by the same process of nivation that inaugurated it.
- Modification of snow cover by climatic change or ‘snow farming’ at ski resorts should have negligible effects on nivation and landforms.
- A common feature created by nivation is a nivation hollow.
early 20th century: from Latin nix, niv- 'snow' + -ation.
More definitions of nivationDefinition of nivation in:
- The US English dictionary