- A grey mould that is deliberately cultivated on grapes in order to perfect certain wines.
More example sentences
- The fungus is Botrytis cinerea, subdivision Deuteromycotina
- Wines labelled as Sélection des Grains Nobles, however, nearly always contain a proportion of grapes affected by botrytis, or noble rot.
- The most important Hungarian wine region is Tokaji, the oldest sweet wine from noble rot in the world.
- Her ‘Botrytis’ is for Sauternes-ophiles who love the noble rot.
1930s: translation of French pourriture noble.
More definitions of noble rotDefinition of noble rot in:
- The US English dictionary