noun (plural nocebos)
- A detrimental effect on health produced by psychological or psychosomatic factors such as negative expectations of treatment or prognosis.More example sentences
- Because of ethical concerns, nocebos are not commonly used in medical practice or research.
- Section Four, ‘Essays and Commentaries,’ examines aromatherapy and essential oils and homeopathy, the placebo effect, and herbs as a token and nocebos.
- It is also worth noting that the placebo has a negative counterpart - called a nocebo.
1960s: from Latin, literally 'I shall cause harm', from nocere 'to harm', on the pattern of placebo.
More definitions of noceboDefinition of nocebo in:
- The US English dictionary