Definition of nock in English:
1A notch at either end of a bow for holding the string.
- Slip the loop of the bowstring over the nock and down the limb of the bow and tie the free end of the string to the other nock using a timber hitch, bowline or similar non-stressing knot.
- Serving the string is the process of rolling the bowstring in other thread to protect it around those areas where it receives most wear, namely around both bow nocks and where the arrow nock rests on the string.
- Often nocks would be reinforced by cutting a slot at right angles to the nock and inserting a short section of horn or bone.
1.1A notch at the butt end of an arrow for receiving the bowstring.
- Usually two are used, one either side of the arrow nock.
- The index finger is placed above the arrow nock and the second and third fingers are placed below the arrow nock.
- To put new fletching and a new nock on an arrow runs the customer about $2.50, Julio said.
verb[with object] Back to top
Fit (an arrow) to the bowstring ready for shooting: I was shaking and had trouble getting the arrow nocked
More example sentences
- Slowly, he took his own long bow from his back and nocked an arrow, pointed at the ground.
- The archers nocked their arrows and pulled back their bows.
- Once an archer downed a target, he nocked an arrow while relocating to another firing site.
late Middle English: perhaps from Middle Dutch nocke 'point, tip'.
Words that rhyme with nockad hoc, amok, Bangkok, baroque, belle époque, bloc, block, bock, brock, chock, chock-a-block, clock, doc, dock, floc, flock, frock, hock, hough, interlock, jock, knock, langue d'oc, lock, Locke, Médoc, mock, o'clock, pock, post hoc, roc, rock, schlock, shock, smock, sock, Spock, stock, wok, yapok
Definition of nock in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan