Done, occurring, or active at night: most owls are nocturnal
More example sentences
- Max has the night beat, circling a nocturnal but always active Los Angeles.
- Prior to my night of nocturnal mutterings two other rather aggravating events took place.
- The second reason for the interest in owls is that they are beautiful to look at and most of them are nocturnal which means that they hunt at night.
late 15th century: from late Latin nocturnalis, from Latin nocturnus 'of the night', from nox, noct- 'night'.
- More example sentences
- While the light environment of shallow water crustaceans may vary dramatically on a 24 hour cycle, deep-sea species live in a much more constant light environment, similar to that of nocturnally active insects.
- Also, some prey species in both freshwater and saltwater environments are more active nocturnally than diurnally, this increasing their likelihood of capture by nocturnal-foraging Wood Storks.
- In nocturnally feeding waterfowl, increased feeding rates were found during daytime in seasons when nights were short, indicating that birds were compensating for restricted feeding periods.