(also Ranvier's node)
- A gap in the myelin sheath of a nerve, between adjacent Schwann cells.More example sentences
- Mammalian vertebrates may also have the morphological equivalent of the septate junction where Schwann cells link to nerve axons at the node of Ranvier.
- The myelin sheath around an axon is interrupted at regular intervals known as the nodes of Ranvier.
- Another node of Ranvier more clearly shows the dark axon as it continues through the node.
late 19th century: named after Louis Antoine Ranvier (1835–1922), French histologist.
More definitions of node of RanvierDefinition of node of Ranvier in:
- The US English dictionary