Having or characterized by hard or tight lumps; knotty.
- Along with subsequent calcite deposition, the pentameres are obliterated, the outline becomes rounded, and nodose sides appear.
- Also among marine snails, thick, nodose, spiny, or otherwise ornamented shells are competitive in the sense that they foil predators.
- These terminals of the bipolar nerve cells of the vagal nodose ganglia may well be stretch receptors.
- Example sentences
- In autoimmune gastritis, the antral portion of the stomach displays nodosity due to hyperplasia.
- In June, 1874, there were about forty or fifty tumors, varying from a slight nodosity to a large horse-chestnut in size.
Early 18th century: from Latin nodosus, from nodus 'knot'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: nod¦ose
Definition of nodose in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.