noun[mass noun] (also noils)
- Short strands and knots combed out of wool fibre before spinning.More example sentences
- These bits of wool, second cuts, or noils must be carded out or they make slubs in the finished yarn.
- The shortwool noils are generally used in producing plain and fancy woolens or soft fabrics.
- The short wool or noil, which is removed from the long fiber, is left in the small circles and from there removed by noil knives, falling as waste under the comb.
early 17th century: probably from Old French noel, from medieval Latin nodellus, diminutive of Latin nodus 'knot'.
More definitions of noilDefinition of noil in:
- The US English dictionary