adjective (noisier, noisiest)
- 1Making or given to making a lot of noise: a noisy, giggling group of children diesel cars can be very noisyMore example sentences
rowdy, rackety, clamorous, boisterous, roisterous, obstreperous, turbulent, brash, clattering, chattering, talkative, vociferous, shouting, screaming, shrieking, bawlingloud, fortissimo, blaring, booming, blasting, brassy, deafening, thunderous, tumultuous, clamorous, resounding, reverberating, ear-splitting, piercing, strident, harsh, cacophonous, raucous
- It is very obvious from the many letters to these pages, and from the escalating number of complaints to the authorities, that noise and noisy neighbours are a major cause of distress.
- It may not necessarily be the vehicle itself that is noisy; maybe the noise is from the tyres, the stereo, or whatever.
- There are a few points in our songs were we do get loud/noisy, but we do it in a dynamic way… we are very big on our dynamics.
- 1.1Full of or characterized by noise: the pub was crowded and noisyMore example sentences
- Really, the older I get, the less I like noisy smoky bars full of stupid drunk people.
- The room was bright and noisy, full of women talking excitedly.
- The road outside was busy and noisy - a source of dust and petrol fumes.
- 1.2Stridently seeking to attract attention to one’s views: noisy pressure groupsMore example sentences
- It has attracted some powerful and noisy exponents.
- Its noisy antics to pressure companies into making changes may not be to everyone's taste but at least it has swung the balance back in favour of the shareholder.
- Selective support for some of the projects is attracting no comment from the ever noisy and vigilant environment lobby, feeding the theory that a land grab for pals is the motive.
- 2 • technical Accompanied by or introducing random fluctuations that obscure the real signal or data.More example sentences
- Although TV snow obscures the main picture, a noisy signal can sometimes improve visual perception.
- Integrating the noisy velocity signal gave a noisy displacement signal that was not useful.
- Like many other researchers, we found the large and noisy background signal from tungsten to be a problem.
- More example sentences
- Once the game began, every hit, every pass, and every shot was argued about and celebrated noisily.
- But by 1990, he was repeatedly and noisily complaining about the downside of fame.
- After lunch I felt so bad I dissolved some aspirin in warm water, gargled noisily and swallowed gratefully.
- More example sentences
- The venue's sound system did them justice and really showcased the noisiness, the melodic nuances and the vocals.
- Indeed, solutions like the muffler to deal with the noisiness of early automobiles inspired confidence.
- Whilst he wasn't the worst father in the world and paid the children a bit of attention he preferred the peace and quiet of our dining room to the noisiness of four children eating.