- The second personal name of a citizen of ancient Rome that indicated the gens to which he or she belonged, e.g. Marcus Tullius Cicero. Compare with cognomen, praenomen, agnomen.More example sentences
- Maecenas is his nomen or family name.
- I'm not complaining - I'm just wondering why some Roman names (many of the nomens, a few of the praenomens) have gotten so popular in Western Europe and America, while others have been completely forgotten.
- A freed slave generally assumed his former master's praenomen and nomen.
Latin, literally 'name'.
More definitions of nomenDefinition of nomen in:
- The US English dictionary