Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of non-Aryan in English:
1 dated A person who is not Aryan nor of Aryan descent.
- They lowered the non-Aryans to below the level of humans - they were pitiful, pathetic creatures, scavenging for scraps, begging.
- But, at the main entrance to the museum there hung a large sign which forbade non-Aryans from entering this institute!
- Further, like Tara, she accepts her husband's enemy and brother as spouse, either at Rama's behest or because it was the custom among the non-Aryans for the new ruler to wed the enthroned queen.
1.1(Especially in Nazi ideology) a person who is not of Caucasian race, especially one of Jewish descent.
- In the 20th century, the Nazis used craniometry and anthropometry to distinguish Aryans from non-Aryans.
- The Nazis considered their Aryan race superior over others and systematically attempted to kill non-Aryans, intellectuals and anybody who would denounce them.
- Decisions at the Nuremberg party congress in the autumn of 1935 made it clear that non-Aryans would no longer be able to keep their posts even if they had served in World War I.
adjectiveBack to top
(Of a person or language) not Aryan or of Aryan descent.
- This is the name of a non-Aryan people mentioned in early Buddhist and Jain records.
- Romila Thapar has confirmed that, the more commonly used word for the plough in Vedic literature is of non-Aryan etymology.
- Bangladeshis are primarily descendants of the non-Aryan inhabitants of the region.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.