noun[mass noun] Genetics
- The failure of one or more pairs of homologous chromosomes or sister chromatids to separate normally during nuclear division, usually resulting in an abnormal distribution of chromosomes in the daughter nuclei.More example sentences
- Although this assay is very sensitive for detecting chromosomal loss, it is unable to detect non-disjunction and chromosome gain.
- In principle, non-disjunction during spermatogenesis could lead to aneuploidy, which might cause fetal death.
- Although the non-disjunction of chromosome 21 in cultured lymphocytes was reported to be increased by age, there was no age or sex effect on chromosome 21 micronucleation in healthy persons.
More definitions of non-disjunctionDefinition of non-disjunction in:
- The US English dictionary