Definition of non-figurative in English:
- Aristotle does not rule out the possibility that metaphor may contain insights, but any truth so contained in figurative language would be additionally accessible through non-figurative language.
- But God's self-portrayal can be simultaneously literal and figurative only if literal does not mean non-figurative but real or actual.
1.1(Of art) abstract: works which appeared to be non-figurative often did in fact recall the visible world
More example sentences
- In the twentieth century Wassily Kandinsky is considered as the inventor of non-figurative art.
- This is often the case with abstract or non-figurative painting.
- Up until about 1974, Haas experimented with a range of different techniques and styles, producing, for example, non-figurative paintings and drawings reminiscent of Paul Klee or the Abstract Expressionists.
Definition of non-figurative in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan